Friday, December 28, 2007

The Worst Direction

It is time to admit, to my chagrin, that I wasted time reading a book.
Contrary to my nature, I know. Usually, I consider any book that I have read to be a gainful experience on some level. But not this one. I wasted several otherwise lovely evenings reading "The Golden Compass". I don't even know where to start a diatribe against this book, it's writer, and his publisher!
I was really trying to give it the same chance I did with Harry Potter, and a lot of others. But this one goes in the same category with Ayn Rand. What a waste! With all the hazardous toys being recalled, I think this is a hazardous book that should be recalled.
First: It's not even a Compass; it's a glorified Magic 8 Ball.
Second: This is not a book written for children. And I resent that it has been made into a children's movie even more than I resented Gremlins in 1984. I would have been really ticked if I had shelled out the cash to see this in a theater.
Third: I guess the movie is reasonably successful, more's the pity. I thought with Nicole Kidmann, it might be a good movie. I always liked her. But, then I used to like Tom Cruise too, before he took a ride on the hopping couch. So, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that She's turning out to be spiritually flaky also.
Fourth: Any writer that was bashing any other race, creed, or belief would have been censored and politically corrected out of a job, or contract as the case may be, long before this. What were they thinking to publish such rubbish?
My recommendation: spend your money on something more enjoyable, like a root canal. This Gold could lead to Lead Poisoning. My children know that I won't spend my money on Bratz Cr_p, and now they know I won't be spending it on Golden Compass BS either.

No comments:

Counter