Monday, May 07, 2012

Fiber Law

You may all know this, but I've just got to find out:  Where can I find all these Laws about Fiber? 
I just came across a description of the Carding Comb at the Museum of London website.  And it says they
 were also used 'illegally' on woven cloth to raise the nap or surface. This process, known as 'rowing' or 'barbing', was ...

And, I found on another site a vague reference about the US Maritime Regions (I assume New England) that it was Illegal for Men to Knit during Fishing Season???  Then there's always the references in American History about specific pieces of fiber working equmpment being illegal to export or import at certain times.
Where can I find more of these "Laws".  Was it Elizabeth Zimmerman or Stephanie Pearl McPhee that said "There are no Knitting Police."?  Because it seems to me that there clearly used to be Fiber Police.
 
I've always been fascinated by the crafts demonstrators at the theme parks and Ren-Fest.  I wonder how many of the activities they are demonstrating would have actually been illegal in the time/place they are Re-enacting?  That leads to a fun "Sheriff" situation play:  "Sorry lady, we're gonna' have to take you in to the hoos-gow for usin' that teasel on those woven-goods."  Headlines reading "Shoot Out Over Socks".

This really bears more research......

No comments:

Counter