Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I would like to visit: Pioneer Village: Salem in 1630

I'm going to list a few of the places in the world that I want to visit someday.  When you arrive home after a trip, have you ever had the realization that you were just a short distance from a place that you've read about and wanted to go to?  Or you didn't realize that you were so close until it was too late?  Well, maybe if I post the list of places here, I'll be able to remember and access the information when I need it.
Now, remember, these may not actually be what YOU would call "tourist attractions". 

Pioneer Village: Salem in 1630  is only open from June 22 to October 31 for 2012 and only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and only from 12 noon to 4 pm.  It's not expensive once you get there.  At this time, it's $5 or $6 for the Self-Guided Tour option.  A Scheduled Guided Tour is $8/student (with a school group/field trip).  Tickets to Pioneer Village:  Salem in 1630  

I am wondering if there's an option for a Guided Tour if you're not part of a school group.  Timing would be the important thing here.  It's soooo disappointing to be at the place on the day that it's closed.  Cannot tell you how many times that has happened.

Their website points out that it's America's first living history museum and was built in 1930 for the Tercentennial of Massachusetts.  That's kind of hard to believe, that there was no living history museum in America before 1930, but, I guess they can claim it if they want too.  They also have a list of several buildings and attractions.  I'm a little concerned that "The village sits on three acres of land..."  THREE ACRES?  Really?  Ummm, my mowed yard is about 2 acres.  3 Acres doesn't even get you much of the area where I expect kids to play when they come to my house.  Maybe it's just me, but I think the local Walmart has more than 3 acres of parking....  I know everything's smaller back east.  Maybe it's a typo?  I just looked it up: the EPA Superfund website for reuse of land states that an Adult Soccer Field with supporting areas may need up to three acres of land.  Same with baseball or football.  And we're not talking about pro sports or parking.  Just a little local Parks & Rec field.  Anyway, I would like to visit:

Pioneer Village:Salem in 1630

Pioneer Village   Salem, MA

Pioneer Village is America's oldest living history museum and recreates life as it was for the Puritans in 1630. Visit thatched houses, dugouts, period gardens, a wigwam and the governor's house. Costumed interpreters give guided tours which explain what life was like for these early colonists. Pioneer Village is located in Forest River Park near Salem State University.

Online tickets purchased through Brown Paper Tickets may be redeemed anytime during regular hours before October 31. Normal hours may be found on our website: pioneervillagesalem.com

Kid Friendly: Yes!
Non-Smoking: Yes!Pioneer Village: Salem in 1630

No comments:

Counter