Thursday, January 31, 2008

Buffalo Down at Buffalo Gold

Buffalo Gold produces Buffalo Down fibers. The statistics on this stuff are awesome. The micron count is supposed to be between 11 and 13 (cashmere is 15 - 16) so it should be even softer!
There's wonderful information on the website about how they started the business, and all kinds of Buffalo (American Bison) facts. Great Photo! If you're squeamish, don't go to the part about how they get the fiber. But, really, they're doing a good thing here; if they weren't there to harvest this fiber it would be wasted. So, get over it. I am still, as always, perplexed by the economics of sending this around the world to have it processed. They list where it's "grown", harvested, skirted, scoured, dehaired, and then spun. Man, how much of the cost of this is just in transportation?
Yarn, roving, kits, batts, etc. Leather, other stuff....
Well, it's not really available directly from them .........
They don't sell online. There is a lengthy list of LYS, and most people should have a shop reasonably nearby. I'm just a little deflated. I was really looking forward to ordering a little fluff online to spin on the (still unnamed) Rick Reeves wheel that I'm learning to use. So, I emailed the "closest" LYS after finding that their website only list two small knitting kits. I'm still not even sure what kind of price range I'm looking at for fiber? The known prices that I have are from a different LYS that is far too far to drive to: $45 for 25 g of Lace Weight or $69 for 50 g of Fingering Weight Yarn with patterns for scarves.
So, in my own little ADHD, OCD, way, I'm waiting to hear back from them and then might figure out how to work in a 4 hour round trip excursion into my evening. Then there's the $12 to $15 in gas that it'll take to get there and back. There's a really good restaurant near the LYS. Maybe I can talk the DH into driving me, and I can knit all the way there and back. So, that'll be another $20 minimum in meal cost. So, we're up to an estimated $80 for a net gain of enough yarn to make one scarf. Hmmmm, going to look at the budget before I get too excited about this.


No comments:

Counter