Monday, February 06, 2012

My UFO in the Attic........

My DS1 recently read my UFO blog page (rubyintheroughufo.blogspot.com), and got a kick out of the "lurking in the attic fair" reference.  Actually, said DS1 has been living in the attic since we finished insulating part of it last year.
Which brings up the whole discussion:  is HE an Unfinished Object?  One of my many uncompleted projects?
Or is it one of those "God isn't finished with me yet" situations?
DS1 is, by the way, one of my best knitting victims and is willing to wear several of my hats out in public.  Just saying that so you knitters will know the kind of offspring I'm talking about here.

What are the statistics on adult children living with their parents?  Not the adult children that are caregivers for their frail parents, but the returning to the nest children (in the 18 to 30 age range) that are moving back in with Mom & Dad.

DS1 says that the reason young adults are willing to live at home, when those of my generation weren't, is that today's 20-somethings get along with their parents much better than the Baby Boomers did.  Looking back on the issues that encouraged children to move away from home as soon after High School graduation as possible, I do really see the difference in the generations.  And, I take it as a compliment that my children are willing to move home.  But, it isn't a condemnation of what my parents did.  The times changed, and parenting had to change too.  That Said.......
While there is something to that, I'm sure there are other factors at work here too. 
Examples:  Minimum Wage buying power, expected standard of living, expenses of education, technology required for communication, housing/building market crash, loan unavailability, insurance rates, transportation costs, the list goes on….
And I will too, as soon as I can get enough bandwidth to upload the file……

No comments:

Counter