Saturday, June 23, 2012

Planning a Vacation is Difficult enough without a Twisted Family Tree

Is it just me?  Am I the only person that has a Family Tree so twisted that I can't begin to plan a Vacation to track it?  I have friends that have recently returned from "across the pond" where they were able to meet relatives and see where their ancestors left from before they came to America.  (Cue the "No Cats in America" music from Fievel Mousekowitz movie).  I can't help but be envious of those that know "where their roots are".  I've been working on it for years, and still can't prove anything definitive.  Every time I think I've made headway, another "weed" crops up in the field.  That birthdate that just cannot be physically possible (not to mention not "legal" by today's standards). 
A friend went to meet her fourth cousin in Italy last fall.  They own restaurants, in Italy and US.  Tiny little restaurants, nothing famous or grand.  But they were able to share recipes and swap stories.  How cool is that? 
One of our Church Families got to go to Switzerland and stay at a relatives Ski Resort and see where everyone came from. 
My older kids had to do school projects on their family heritage.  It was deemed "not politically correct or socially sensitive" by the time the younger ones got to be that age.  Anyway, they had to do their Dad's family heritage because he's the one that knew something about cultural heritage.  My family?  My Mother wasn't sure what her Grandmother's first name was.  No one knows where my Father's Grandfather lived before he met his Grandmother.  There's multiple generations of Women with no name recorded other than Mrs. His Name.  Really?  How did this happen?  So, that's what got me involved in Genealogy.  And don't even joke with me about "Witness Protection".  Not funny......

No comments:

Counter