Friday, November 30, 2007

Naming the spinning wheel

I have to come up with a name for my spinning wheel.
I inherited it from my DH's Interesting Uncle Joel. He lived in Minnesota. A town with Lake in the name (imagine that!). They were of German descent, not Swedish or Norwegian. He taught History for years. He is sorely missed by all. I don't think he was a spinner, the spinning wheel was a "prop" for his historic lessons.
It's a Cherry Wood Rick Reeves 1977. Seems to be very unique. I'll have to post photos, as soon as I find the camera again. It's beautiful, but had a rough life lying on it's side on top of a pile of other priceless antiques for years after he retired. It's a lot smaller than the wheels that I see for sale now. I've been wondering why. Is it maybe to spin a finer yarn than the newer wheels? This was, after all, made before the 80's BIG WOOL era.
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do post some photos! You have a real treasure. Hard to tell from the picture which of his wheels it may have been. I think you should name it after Uncle Joel.

Counter